Monday, May 02, 2011

To Whom it May Concern:

I am a recent college graduate who did not have the opportunity to take an internship while in school.  I have had to work to support myself for as long as I've been able.  I am a hard worker, dedicated to whatever task is set before me.  I have had the good luck of being able to work my way up the chain at my current job.  I started working as a volunteer when I was thirteen in the arts and sports camp.  I interacted with children and helped the teachers as best I could.  At the end of the summer, when I was offered tips by the parents, I turned them down saying that getting to know their children was all that I needed.  I was young and naive.  Now I know that working in the summer is all about the tips.

I remember that there was a four year old named Cole in the camp.  It was the year that "The Sixth Sense" came out, so even though Haley Joel Osment and this kid looked nothing alike I was reminded of the movie on a daily basis whenever I came to work.  Cole's best friend was named Carly and she was heading into kindergarten at the end of the summer, into a world I knew all too well, SSSQ.  I felt kind of sorry for her actually.  Those two kids are sixteen years old now.  Wow.

When I was sixteen I started working during the year.  I assisted in teaching gymnastics classes.  When I was younger, from the ages of five to ten, I took gymnastics, at the same place that I am now working in.  I was teaching with different head teachers, one of whom was the gymnastics teacher that had taught me.  As time went on, I also started assisting in Nursery classes and birthday parties and working at the front desk.  I always worked hard, and I never turned down a tip again, whether it was monetary or in the form of advice.

Now I am the head counselor in the arts and sports camp.  I have about ten people working under me on average during the summers.  I help plan the program, modernizing it.  During the year I am a head teacher for both nursery and my own gymnastics classes.  I have written press releases for new and upcoming programs.  I do paperwork and work at the front desk whenever asked.  I even wrote a licensing agreement last year.  I explain programs to people on the phone, I take payments on credit cards and checks, I write receipts and write up excel spreadsheets for my boss.  I have also been asked to photograph different things.  Over the years I have also worked as a swim teacher and a body shop attendant (otherwise known as the workout room or gym).

I have progressed in my career at this place and I think that my opportunities for growth have been capped out.  I am currently seeking a new job, putting my writing skills, my photography skills, and my people skills to good use.  I am looking to be an administrative assistant, or an editorial assistant, or anything else that may come along.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Mira Nitzberg

No comments: