Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Ok, so this the second Wednesday in a row that I worked from 9-5. I don't usually do that, I usually work a few hours here and there. I actually prefer this. I mean it's a pain in the ass, but at least I'm making money, and it gives me something to do, since I am still on vacation from school until Jan. 26th. I've been kind of bored lately, except for a few highlights here and there I haven't been doing much of anything. I enjoy doing nothing, seriously I do. But enough is enough, lol. I guess in a way I miss school, eventhough I seriously hate it. I don't enjoy classes, and in general I think my teachers are idiots, but maybe once in a while I'll learn something, or accidentally interact with some new people. As for the highlights, they include finding old friends and perhaps resuming contact with them after many years (like 7 or 8 years at most). finding new friends and wandering the City with them. Besides that, aside from having the oppertunity to relax, that's it.

On a completely different note:

I'm turning into an internet addict. And I do not mean anything pronographic by that. I mean I seem to be addicted to instant messenger. Not necessarily a bad thing, I am interracting with people afterall, but does it lead anywhere? Am I going to form long lasting relationships? Or am I just going to forget the existence of these people in few months? Knowing me, I will never forget them. However, that doesn't mean long lasting relationships either. I mean I am certainly greatful for their company online while it lasts. Do I want to spend time with any of them in person? Some of them yes, some no. Some are just impractically far away. Not much of a consideration actually. There's something about instant messenger that offers a certain freedom to be yourself. It's harder to be inhibited online. Therefore, it also might be easier to get hurt, but forgetting that for the momet, let's just say that a person might be easier to read (no pun intended) online. I think I am more myself when talking to these strangers, than I am in person. Why? Because you have to write out exactly what you mean. There are no facial expressions, no gestures to show meaning. If you want to be understood, you must express yourself fully in writing. Having only been using IM since August, I am relatively new to the phenomenon. We'll see what happens, whether I become disenchanted with it or not. For now, i think it's a great way to communicate. I don't think it can ever fully replace face to face contact. Even with the added intamacy of having to be yourself, there is the disadvantage of not being able to see the person.

I think this society has become very technology oriented. DUHHHH!!!! I did not just realize that, I swear. However, if people are meeting more and more online, instead of in person, or meeting at least initially online, what does that do to our social upbringing? Does it improve things, or make them worse? Will more children have problems with social skills than ever before? Or on the other hand will it make people better able to cope with social situations? I guess we'll find out as time goes by.

No comments: