Monday, January 10, 2011

The continuing saga of the wedding...

The centerpieces...  This is what I received from one of the florists I talked to:

"These fifteen (15) table displays will be a combination of florals, water, & candle light, illuminating your venue creating a beautiful romantic atmosphere.  Each table will have four (3) clear glass cylinders with clear crystals lining the bottom of each cylinder.  I will use cylinders in staggered heights of 24inches, 18inches, and 12 inches.  Inside of each cylinder will be a floral display of Two-toned Purple & White Dendrobian orchids.  All of these cylinders will be filled with water submerging all flowers.  We will then place a floating candle in each of these cylinders.  At the base of each arrangement, I will place three (3) small 4 inch cylinder vases at the base of each large cylinder.  These smaller cylinder vases will also be lined with clear crystals, filled with water, & have a floating candle in each one. We will then scatter Dendrobian Orchid heads & Purple rose petals around this display completing your tables design."

I've also got to worry about the bouquets for me and the bridesmaids.  There are ideas floating around.

This is my ideal color scheme.  I just love the way these colors look together.  I think the idea is sophisticated and not boring.  It's not your traditional ivory and red.  I love those colors too, I just think they've been over done.  Also, since my wedding is in August I wanted something more... colorful.  Don't get me wrong, there will be ivory hanging around in places and there will be a touch of gold here and there.  There will be more blue than chartreuse, just because I think that hints of chartreuse are more flattering than too much of the color.  The bridesmaids will be wearing purple dresses in the style of their choosing.  I don't think I can make everybody wear the same exact dress, it just won't work for their different body shapes.  I need to get them all to come with me so I can see how the different dresses will look on their bodies.  My cousin needs to get her dress rather soon because she needs to have it altered, no matter which dress she gets.  She's orthodox, so she needs her collar bone, her elbows, and her knees to be covered.  The other bridesmaids are not going to have the same restrictions.

******

Since I have nothing else to say about my wedding at the moment I will venture to speak about my day instead.  I went to work today.  It doesn't seem like a major feet, I am aware.  I haven't been working steadily for three weeks because the fall session ended before Christmas and the winter session just started this past Sunday.  I worked a little bit in between, but like I said, it wasn't steady.  Not that my work schedule is too steady to begin with.  I only work on Monday, Thursday, Friday, and sometimes Sunday.

I need more work.  I would like to be a writer, a published writer.  In lieu of that I have been looking into publishing/editing.  I graduated from Queens College in 2010 (finally!) with a B.A. in English.  If I go for a M.A., I think it will be in children's literature.  I don't have any very lucrative job ambitions, do I?  Eventually, I would love to own a cafe, but I see that as more of a goal for later life.  If I could just find a full time job now, doing something that involves writing on some level I would be thrilled.

Anyway... My day.  I taught one nursery gym class in the afternoon.  The kids really aren't bad.  Most of them are sweet.  Usually, when you hear about a teacher not liking his or her job, it's not because of the kids, it's because of the system, the administration or the constant testing that has to be done.  I used to want to go into education, teach in a high school, try to help the masses learn how to analyze literature and learn correct grammar through creative writing.  I think it's a good idea and something that is greatly lacking in most high schools.  If children don't read, and they don't write, how exactly are they supposed to learn how to put a sentence together?  How are they supposed to get jobs later in life?  It's just something that bothers me.  Since I can't stand what Bloomberg is doing to our school system, I refuse to be part of it.  Maybe if I move to another state I would go into teaching, but not in NYC.

What I was trying to say about my nursery class, is that it is not the students which bother me.  The head teacher for the class really gets under my skin.  She thinks she is right about everything all the time!  It drives me crazy, especially because she has a tendency to be wrong.  If I am showing the kids how to do something, a new stretch, how to dribble, how to do a forward roll, she takes over.  If I'm showing them how to do something one way, she sneaks up behind me, startles me, and shows them how to do the same thing the wrong way.  She is the ultimate control freak, and trust me, I've met my fair share of control freaks.  Her taking over my class on a semi regular basis is bad enough, but her perfume just makes it that much more torturous.  She wears so much of it!  It's cloying.  It snakes its way up your nose, grabs hold of the hairs in there and pulls, making you sneeze.  It's truly disgusting.

My later two classes which I co-teach with two other people were fine.  Nothing overly stimulating there.  Stretching, flipping, jumping, twirling... it's a gymnastics class.  There is one student who drives me up the wall, M.  She is overactive to say the least and she takes pride in being annoying.  I must say she does annoying very well.  The animal noises, the screaming, the jumping up in your face, it's all just lovely, really.  She and her sister also fart every time they do a flip.  I'm not sure what causes this, but it must be something in their diet.  It's just not something one can ever get used to.  I mean, I have to touch these people, and my face is very often close by to their lower half, especially if they are upside down.  I understand farting is something that cannot be controlled.  I do not blame the children, I just wish I wasn't always the one to receive the farts.  Oh well.

My father picked me up from work, we went to buy cat food, for the cat.  We ended up eating at Mike's Pizzeria for dinner.  I got spaghetti and meatballs.  What can I say, I guess I'm a kid at heart.  It was a good way to end the day.

Now, I am watching Star Trek: First Contact.  After an in depth discussion about Star Trek with my father I was thrilled to find Star Trek on T.V.

Have a good night cyber people, I must return to my geeky ways.

No comments: